July 21, 2017
Gonvarri Steel Services publishes its fifth Sustainability Report concerning the 2016 exercise
• This year, once again, shows a sustainable growth, as the financial results reflect, with 2,345 million euros turnover, 155 million euros EBITDA and 94 million euros net profit.
• In 2016 presented “Drive”, the new Management Model, with a roadmap based on four pillars: Innovation, Efficiency, People and Sustainability.
• Committed to sustainability, road safety and climate change, it wants to contribute to reducing these impacts and help reaching the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), through different initiatives focused on the following objectives:
• Actively contribute reduce the number of global deaths and injuries from road traffic accidents (SDG 3.6) and to dispose of safer transports (SDG 11.2),
• Double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency by 2030 (SDG 7.3) and different measures against climate change (SDG 13.2).
• Within the shared value creation, there stands out the “Emotional Driving” project and the different initiatives undertaken during such exercise.
Madrid, July 21th, 2017.
Gonvarri Steel Services (GSS) publishes its fifth Sustainability Report concerning the 2016 exercise aiming to submit, in a balanced and transparent way, the financial, environmental and social results to its stakeholders.
This new Report was developed according to the Global Reporting Initiative standards in its G4 version, which includes in greater depth a Materiality Study.
The “Economic dimension” shows once again a sustainable growth, as the financial results reflect, with 2,345 million euros turnover, 155 million euros EBITDA and 94 million euros net profit, figures that allow us to face new challenges.
There stands out the new Management Model “Drive”, with a roadmap based on four pillars: Innovation, Efficiency, People and Sustainability to contribute to the development of the Company and the all professionals’ welfare.
It made important investments in China, mainly in the Gonvvama project possible by the 50% shareholding along with our partner Vama. It inaugurated the first of the four facilities in Chine: Gonvvama Loudi, in the province of Hunan.
It also increased its presence in Europe, gathering the 3D laser cutting activities in Brandenbourg, with a significant growth in Gonvarri Czech and the launch of two blanking lines in Gonvauto Thüringen.
The “Social dimension” collects the most relevant information with regard to people, health and safety and social matters.
During 2016, 136,035 training hours were given, an average of 44.9 training hours per employee. In this field, there has to be underlined the finalization of the first edition of the 2-years-time “Gonvarri Leadership Program” (GLP), focused in talent development, growth and personal and professional leadership in Gonvarri. Out of the 41 participants, 12 have already promoted internally. In addition, as a result of the climate survey 2015, the direction of HR stands out the progress on “Growing Together” project.
Gonvarri contributes to the value creation in the local economy through different approaches, in particular: the stable employment creation (90.7% of permanent contracts) and local origin (97,5% have local nationality), the spending on locally-based suppliers is up to 70% of the total spend.
In addition, from its commitment to sustainability, road safety and climate change, it wants to collaborate to reduce its impact and help to reach the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), through different initiatives focused in the following goals:
• actively contribute reduce the number of global deaths and injuries from road traffic accidents (SDG 3.6) and to dispose of safer transports (SDG 11.2),
• double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency by 2030 (SDG 7.3) and different measures against climate change (SDG 13.2).
In relation to road safety, “Emotional Driving” continues to grow via numerous initiatives such as: the publication of the book “Emotional Driving: thoughts to understand road safety with optimism” and the creation of a four-motivational-episode web series to drive safer: “Experience”, “Life”, “Attitude” and “Help”. In addition, through the “Emotional Driving Book Challenge”, it expanded internationally the Project to German and Portuguese facilities.
In the “Environmental dimension”, Gonvarri recognizes the need to preserve the conserve natural resources. Thus, via the use of its main raw material, steel, and its recycling capability, contributes to the “Circular Economy”.
About Gonvarri Steel Services
Gonvarri Steel Services (www.gonvarristeelservices.com) is a leading company in steel service centers with more than 4,300 employees that reached a revenue of more than 2,300 million euros in 2016. Its strategy around the steel transformation business is based on the development of products and services with great value added, which allows to establish closer relations with its main clients through its six business lines: automotive, road safety, energy, material handling, mecano and industry. Gonvarri Steel Services counts with 36 service centers in 16 countries.